Banana Macadamia Nut Pancakes with Orange Butter
For orange butter
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ripe large banana
- 1/2 cup salted roasted Out Of Africa Macadamia nuts (2 1/2 oz), chopped Accompaniment: maple syrup
- YIELD: Makes 15 (4-inch) pancakes
- ACTIVE TIME: 30 min
- TOTAL TIME: 30 min
Make orange butter:
Stir together all orange butter ingredients in a small bowl until combined well.
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, 2 tablespoons melted butter, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth. Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined. Cut banana into bits and fold into batter along with nuts. (Batter will be very thick.)
Brush a 12-inch nonstick skillet with some of remaining tablespoon melted butter and heat over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches of 3, pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake into hot skillet and cook until bubbles appear on surface and undersides are golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip pancakes with a spatula and cook until golden brown and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a large plate and loosely cover with foil to keep warm, then make more pancakes, brushing skillet with butter for each batch. Serve with orange butter.
Cashews With Chicken
- ¾ C orange juice
- ⅓ C agave nectar
- ¼ C soy sauce (can use low sodium)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, julienne
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 cup Out Of Africa Cashew Nuts
- In a bowl, combine juice, agave nectar, soy sauce, cornstarch, and seasonings.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp oil until it begins to smoke. Stir-fry vegtables for several minutes until the onions become fragrant. Set aside.
- In same skillet, heat another Tbsp of oil until smoking and stir-fry chicken chunks until browned and tender.
- Add cooked vegetables, Out Of Africa Cashew Nuts, and sauce mixture. Continue cooking until sauce bubbles and thickens. Serve over brown rice.
- Per serving: 256 calories, 15g protein, 31g carb
Macadamia Nut Butter
One of the best things to spread on your bread first thing in the morning is a homemade nut butter.
You can indulge guilt-free and it’s very good for you.
Choose good-quality, very fresh raw macadamias, peanuts or cashews from our Out Of Africa range.
If you like, you can soak or sprout the nuts first.
If you do this, make sure they have completely dried before processing them.
Roasting the nuts first is another way to vary the flavour of your butter, giving you a deeper taste and creamier texture.
Makes 1 jar
Half a Kg nuts of your choice Raw honey (optional)Water (optional).
Process the nuts in a food processor until you obtain a creamy paste that the blade moves smoothly through.
At first you will need to stop frequently to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl with a spatula.
As the nuts are whizzing round, you can drizzle in a little raw honey or water to help turn it into an emulsified butter.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge